From ruin to Castle
The present buildings of Koldinghus Castle are from the 15thand 16th centuries, but Koldinghus was given its characteristic profile when the young Christian IV built the Great Tower around 1600.
In 1808 the castle burned down when Spanish troops were billeted there and lay in ruins for many years. In the 1980s the castle ruin was subjected to an award-winning restoration with deliberate use of materials that are different from the original ones.
Today the castle houses a museum and has emerged as asightseeing attraction of great historical and architectural value where, besides big international temporary exhibitions,one can see art and the country’s biggest collection of modern Danish silver.
Koldinghus Stable Yard
Koldinghus Stable Yard is part of the castle complex around Koldinghus. This was where the King kept his horses. Today there are sometimes public events at the Stable Yard and historic wine fields have just been re-established.